Cote d'Ivoire - What to see in Grand Bassam?
What to See and Do in Grand Bassam, Côte d'Ivoire
Grand Bassam is a coastal town in south-eastern Côte d'Ivoire (formerly Ivory Coast), about 40 kilometres east of Abidjan. It was the first capital of the French colony of Côte d'Ivoire from 1893 to 1896, and it remains an important historical and cultural centre. Grand Bassam is also a popular tourist destination, known for its beautiful beaches, colonial architecture, and vibrant nightlife.
Here are some of the things you can see and do in Grand Bassam:
Explore the Historic Centre
The historic centre of Grand Bassam is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is home to a number of well-preserved colonial buildings, including the Governor's Palace, the Customs House, and the Post Office. You can also find a number of museums in the historic centre, including the National Museum of Costume and the Museum of the History of Grand Bassam.
Visit the Beach
Grand Bassam has a beautiful beach that stretches for several kilometres. The beach is a popular spot for swimming, sunbathing, and surfing. You can also find a number of restaurants and bars along the beach.
Relax in a Beachfront Hotel
Grand Bassam has a number of beachfront hotels where you can relax and enjoy the views of the ocean. The hotels offer a variety of amenities, including swimming pools, restaurants, and bars.
Visit the Village Artisanal
The Village Artisanal is a market where you can buy traditional Ivorian handicrafts, such as masks, statues, and textiles. The market is also a good place to try traditional Ivorian food.
Take a Boat Trip
You can take a boat trip from Grand Bassam to the nearby town of Assinie Mafia. The boat trip takes about an hour, and it is a great way to see the coastline of Côte d'Ivoire.
Visit the Ecomuseum of Assinie Mafia
The Ecomuseum of Assinie Mafia is a museum dedicated to the environment and culture of the Assinie Mafia region. The museum has exhibits on the region's plants, animals, and people.
Grand Bassam is a popular fishing destination. You can go fishing on your own or book a fishing charter. The most common types of fish caught in Grand Bassam are barracuda, tuna, and dorado.
Enjoy the Nightlife
Grand Bassam has a vibrant nightlife scene. There are a number of bars and clubs in the historic centre and along the beach where you can enjoy a drink and dance the night away.
Tips for Visiting Grand Bassam
- The best time to visit Grand Bassam is during the dry season, which runs from November to April. During the dry season, the weather is mild and sunny.
- Grand Bassam is a relatively safe city, but it is always important to be aware of your surroundings and take precautions against petty theft.
- It is important to dress respectfully when visiting Grand Bassam. This means avoiding revealing clothing and covering your shoulders and knees.
- It is also important to be respectful of Ivorian culture and customs. For example, you should avoid taking photos of people without their permission.
- Grand Bassam is a francophone city, so it is helpful to speak some French. However, many people in Grand Bassam also speak English.
- Grand Bassam is a relatively affordable city. You can find budget-friendly accommodation and food options.
Additional Things to See and Do in Grand Bassam
- Visit the Maison Ganamet, a colonial mansion that has been converted into a museum.
- Visit the Lighthouse of Grand Bassam, which offers panoramic views of the city and the coastline.
- Visit the Pont de la Victoire, a bridge that was built in 1921 to commemorate the French victory in World War I.
- Visit the Musée National des Costumes, which has a collection of traditional Ivorian clothing.
- Visit the Musée de l'Histoire de Grand Bassam, which has exhibits on the history of Grand Bassam from its pre-colonial days to the present.
- Visit the Village des Artisans, a market where you can buy traditional Ivorian handicrafts.
- Take a boat trip to the nearby town of Assinie Mafia.
Grand Bassam is a charming and historic city that has something to offer everyone. Whether you are interested in history, culture, nature, or nightlife, you are sure to find something to enjoy in Grand Bassam.